Here's a delicious recipe for anyone who can tolerate dairy.
1 ½ cup grass fed whole milk
1 ½ cup grass fed heavy whipping cream
3 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
¾ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup Dutch processed cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat milk and cream in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Remove from heat once milk/cream starts to rise and stir quickly or it will boil over.
- Reduce heat to low and return pan and let milk simmer. In a medium mixing bowl combine, 3 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Measure out 1 cup of hot milk mixture and set aside. Now using a hand mixer start mixing sugar and egg mixture on medium speed, while mixing pour the one cup of hot milk/cream mixture slowly into egg mixture. Mix till well combined.
- Now mix in ¼ cup of cocoa till smooth. Now take egg mixture and pour it all into the pan on the stove. Turn the heat up to medium high and stir constantly till the mixture begins to thicken and sticks to the back of a spoon.
- Once mixture has become like a custard, remove from heat and pour into a glass or metal bowl. Now take a piece of parchment paper, big enough to cover the entire custard and make sure it touches the surface of your custard.
- Place the bowl in the freezer for about an hour and a half to two hours. The parchment paper keeps the custard from forming a skin as it cools. Check it after an hour and a half to see if it’s cool enough to be placed into your ice cream maker. If so pour it into your maker and process according to ice cream maker instructions.