5 cups of Raw Milk
2 tsp yogurt starter or 2 25 Billion Probiotic capsules
1. Pour milk into a large saucepan and heat to no higher than 110 F. If you heat the raw milk higher than this it will kill the enzymes in the milk, the milk will no longer be raw and you might as well use pasteurized milk for all the good it does you, so keep a close eye on that thermometer and don't pasteurize your milk!
2. Once it hits the right temp. turn off the stove and let the milk cool to 95 F. Pour out about a 1/2 cup of the milk and put in your yogurt starter, into the 1/2 cup of milk you removed and stir a little. Now pour the 1/2 cup with the starter in it, into the main batch and pour the soon to be yogurt into your yogurt jars and place on your maker and let it set 12-24 hours depending on how sour you like your yogurt.
Keeping the milk 110 F. or below is still considered Raw Milk, because the enzymes are still alive. Like probiotics, if you heat them too high they die, raw milk works the same way.
A side note: Keep in mind raw milk yogurt is thinner than yogurt made from regular milk. Homemade yogurt is thinner than store bought period but much better for you. If you want your yogurt thicker you can add tapioca starch, about 2-3 heaping tbsp before adding your probiotics or starter or you can strain your yogurt through a triple layer of cheesecloth. Line a mesh strainer with cheesecloth and set the strainer over a bowl and pour the yogurt into the cheesecloth lined strainer and let it set in the fridge 30 minutes to over night depending on how thick you like your yogurt. The left over liquid is Whey. I say don't waste that! It's liquid gold! You can use it to culture vegetables or put is in smoothies in place of powdered whey. I like to freeze mine in ice cube trays and add them to my smoothies!
So let's get into raw milk and why it's better for you than regular milk, or even Organic Grass Fed Milk that's been pasteurized.
Raw Milk is milk that has not been processed in anyway, no heating, no filtering, no separation of any kind. Raw Milk is from grass (pesticide free) fed cows that have been spared the issues of recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH). Raw Milk is a live food. Raw milk is a complete and balanced food.
1. Proteins: Raw milk contains proteins that provide resistance to many viruses, bacteria and bacteria toxins. It also contains all 20 standard amino acids required for health in a form ready to be used. Pasteurization destroys 20% of these proteins and changes the make up of the remaining proteins causing the body to have trouble in the processing of these proteins.
2. Carbohydrates: Raw milk's primary carbohydrate is Lactose. The enzyme lactase is contained in the milk which aids in the digestion of Lactose. Lactase is destroyed in pasteurization causing lactose intolerant people to have difficulty digesting the milk. I have a friend who is lactose intolerant who has no problems drinking raw milk.
3. Fat: Over 66% of the fat in raw milk is saturated. Saturated fats needed by the body as they support stable cell membranes and are necessary for the production of key hormones. Processed pasteurized milk has most of these fats removed for use in other products.
4. Enzymes: Raw milk contains over 60 beneficial enzymes for digestion, immune system support, and growth. Pasteurization destroys most of these enzymes.
5. Vitamins: Raw milk contains vitamin A, vitamin D, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, B6, B12, pantothenic acid, folic acid. Some of these are damaged or destroyed by pasteurization that is why the milk has to be fortified with vitamin A and D.
6. Minerals: Raw milk contains many minerals needed for proper cell function, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, magnesium and of course calcium.
7. Cholesterol: Raw milk contains cholesterol needed by the body to maintain membrane integrity.
8. Beneficial Bacteria: Raw milk is a living food that produces its own bacterial protection. This bacteria aids in immune system support of which 80% is contained in the human intestinal track.
A person could live off of Raw Milk for as long as they needed to. It has everything your body requires. Enjoy!