Thursday, June 6, 2013

Paleo French Onion Soup

Ingredients:

3 large onions or 5 small ones, cut in 1/4 inch half moon slices

1/8 Cup of coconut oil or ghee. I used coconut oil, If you don't want the flavor of coconut you can use refined coconut oil. I find however the coconut adds a nice flavor. 

3/4 tsp dried thyme

pepper and sea salt to taste

5 cups bone broth or vegetable broth. I highly recommend using bone broth, its so much more delicious and  nutritious than vegetable broth. 

1/2 lime or lemon juiced. This is optional but I recommend keeping it in, I used lemon.


Directions:

1. Add oil, onions and thyme to a pan over low heat and cover with lid; steam for about 20-30 minutes or until onions reduce down. 

2. Remove pan lid and continue to cook for approximately 90 minutes; check every 30 minutes or so, until the last 30 minutes when the onions will need stirring more often to avoid black bits or burning.

3. When the onions are a deep all over butterscotch color, add lime or lemon juice.

4. Use a splash of broth to deglaze the pan then add the rest of the broth and season with salt and pepper to your tastes, before simmering over low heat for an hour with lid on. Yes this hour simmer is a must. My soup went from "good" after I poured the broth in and seasoned it with salt and pepper to WOW after it simmered for 1 hour.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment