Well I must admit I love Butterfingers but they don't love me lol. So full of all kinds of crap you wouldn't think about putting into your own recipes. These don't taste exactly like Butterfingers but they are very good and pretty close. Curbs my craving for a Butterfinger. These have only a few ingredients and I say paleo (ish) because they use 100% Natural Peanut Butter which isn't exactly Paleo but hey for a treat once in a while why not, and Pure Maple which is pure sugar but better than refined white sugar for sure but sugar non the less. So lets get to it. This is what you will need.
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups Pure Maple Syrup
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 1/2 cups 100% Natural Peanut Butter
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
3/4 tsp Sea Salt (decrease to 1/4 tsp is using salted peanut butter)
2 cups Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips or Nestle Dark Chocolate Chips (53% cocoa)
1. Add the water, maple and cream of tartar into a saucepan and mix until everything is dissolved. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan and bring mixture to a boil on medium heat. Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Allow the mixture to boil until it reaches 300 F. (about 8-10 minutes) WITHOUT stirring at all. Meanwhile, measure out the peanut butter, salt vanilla and chocolate chips. Add the salt to the peanut butter right away and have the vanilla ready. You'll add these immediately once the candy reaches 300 F.
3. When it's 300 F. turn off the heat and remove the pan from heat. Add the salted peanut butter and vanilla, then put the pan back on the burner and quickly stir to incorporate. Then, pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish and quickly spread to desired thickness.
4. Pop the dish in the fridge for 1 minutes, then with a sharp knife, cut the mixture into desired size bars. The mixture may still run together after you cut the., but you want to cut these bars when they are still soft. Place in the fridge again for 5-10 minutes until they are firm enough for the chocolate. Melt the chocolate chips while your waiting.
5. Remove from the fridge, re-cut the bars as needed and lay out on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Spread the melted chocolate completely over the bars and place about 1/2 inch apart. Place in the freezer to set completely, 20-30 minutes. These bars are the most delicious chilled, but enjoy at any temepature!