1 tsp butter/ghee or coconut oil, melted for brushing
2 tbsp water
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
sea salt and pepper to taste
2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced into ½ inch rounds
2 tbsp butter/ghee or coconut oil
1 pound ground grass fed beef
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat to oven to 375 degrees F. (190 degrees C.) Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Whisk eggs and water together in shallow dish.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture and arrange slices on the prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle egg plant with Parmesan cheese mixture and bake in oven until tops are golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Flip eggplant and bake an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C.)
- Over medium-high heat in a skillet cook ground beef till no longer pink and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir tomato sauce into ground beef; bring to a simmer and set sauce aside.
- Grease a 9 x 13- inch baking dish with choice of fat.
- Place 1/3 of the eggplant slices on bottom of the dish
10. Pour 1/3 of the tomato sauce with ground beef on bottom of eggplant layer.
11. Sprinkle 1/3 of mozzarella cheese on top of sauce layer.
12. Repeat 2 more times, finishing with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
13. Bake uncovered in oven until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.
14. Remove from oven and allow to cool, for 5 minutes.